Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare
Is it possible to be too honest, or is honesty always the best policy?
That depends on the situation. For example, if you are married, is it a good idea to be honest with your spouse and tell them the following?
1.” You’re Getting Fat!” Most married couples will tell you this is not the most desirable and honest thing to tell your spouse. It can have detrimental effects on your sex life – for quite a long time.
2. “You’re A Bitch Just Like Your Mother!” Definitely not the way to prevent an army from forming against you. Conquer and divide is a better policy to keep your marriage intact and keep the in-laws at bay.
3. “My Ex-Husband Was Better In Bed Than You Are!” This will surely ruin your marriage quicker than the fat comment. The “Don’t Toot Your Horn” comment is better left in the movies.
4.” I Only Married You Because I Felt Sorry For You!” This is equal to telling your spouse that you consider them nothing more than that of a stray, puppy dog found outside needing a home. It’s also one that could provoke domestic violence.
5. “You’re Nothing But A Sperm Donor!” This could be true in many instances but it’s a very tacky and vile thing to say to your husband. It could also give him ideas on how to make a few bucks on the side and keep a secret stash of cash from you.
6. “Your Sister Was Looking Pretty Hot last Night!” Not what the other sister wants to hear…you know…the one that is married to you? Definitely reveals who you were noticing the most last night at her mother’s house.
7. “Was It Good For You Last Night?” The answer will inevitably and most likely be a very loud and resounding YES. Don’t believe it. If he or she wants to watch the same TV show before having sex with you every night there is a specific reason.
8. “Honey, What’s The Best Thing You Love About Me?” Be very careful here. Some questions – no matter how much you trust your spouse – are designed to trick and reveal your true feelings. Force them to be more specific. Guessing what they are looking for in an answer will turn you into a sucker for entrapment. This is an honesty trap question.
9.” What Day Is Your Birthday?” This is a marriage killer and one that can have long-lasting effects. If you can’t remember their birthday or your anniversary date what else have you forgotten? It’s best not to admit that you forgot…even in the form of a question.
10. “Honey, I Need To Be Honest With You About Something.” Mistake. In many instances, honesty is not always the best policy. Telling her or him that you just had an affair but broke it off will not get you off the hook. It may be good for easing your conscience but it does nothing for the future of your marriage or their trust.
The point these examples are trying to make is that honesty is not always the best policy – especially in a marriage. Being honest or truthful (and there is a difference) defines the boundaries of how far tolerance is maintained. When you are being truthful, you are sticking to the facts. When you are being honest, you are being honorable in principles, intentions and actions. So, you need to weigh the consequences of how you answer a question and if that answer will be beneficial or harmful to your marriage.
Wife: “Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?”
Husband: “No, they don’t make you look fat.”
The husband is being truthful because it’s not the jeans that make her look fat. But he’s not being honest because he never told her that they don’t fit because she is fat.
Here are some of my blogger friends thoughts on this topic:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- You Can Take Your Bucket List And Shove It | The Jittery Goat
- Misprints, Miscommunications and Lies | As I please
- To reason with God | A Teacher’s Blog
- Truth Or Dare | My Little Avalon
- Cross my Heart | Rose-tinted Rambles
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare « cognitive reflection
- of being found out « Anawnimiss
- Truth | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star
- Truth or Dare | Geek Ergo Sum
- DP Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Sabethville
- The Bare Truth | A mom’s blog
- 4: When God told me the truth | 365 days of defiance
- The truth or not the truth, that is the question. (Daily Prompt – Truth or Dare) | L5GN
- Truth | thinkerscap
- Honestly, you are a FRIGHT!! Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Awl and Scribe
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Truth – Weekly Photo Challenge | maydabosco
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | A Mixed Bag
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Under the Monkey Tree
- Too Honest ????? | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Basically Beyond Basic
- When Honesty Is Not the Best Policy | The Photo Faith Challenge
- Butterfly Journal: Truth (Entry #3) | Through the Peacock’s Eyes
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | adorablyobnoxious
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare – Truth
- Truth: Not a Policy | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- Would I lie to you? | The verbal hedge
- Honesty | Sue’s Trifles
- Truth or Dare… | LOQUACITÉ
- Truth Or DARE! | The Story of a Guy
- http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/daily-prompt-truth/ | all my likes
- S. Thomas Summers | Nothing to Share, In All Honesty, Nothing to Share at All
- A lie that draws a smile? | Tales of a slightly stressed Mother!
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Truth or What? | One Starving Activist
- TRUTH | Randomlyabstract’s Blog
- Tangled Web | marjanitalarosa
- Honesty | not4faintheartsblog
- The Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | thejimmieg
- Being honest, just saying | Swell Time
- Honesty – The best policy? | mostlytrueramblings
- The best policy | Life is great
- Does This Dress Make Me Look Fat? | The Armchair Socialite
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare « Mama Bear Musings
- Telling Lies | Flowers and Breezes
- Truth Hurts | Kate Murray
- Daring to live truthfully | Liberating Sobriety
- DP: The Truth Can Hurt | Scorched Ice
- Leave out truth | shame
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Ruminations from an Introvert
- TELLING THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH | Emotional Fitness
- Truth or dare | dandelionsinwind
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Truth with a fancy title | From One Crazy Life To Another
- Do I Look Ok? | The Best Life
- Truth or Dare | The Nameless One
- The Truth Is… | Thediaspeaks;
- Lie or Nein | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- If you don’t have anything nice to say…. | Unlocking The Inner Creative
- THE LIARS CLUB – WE ALL BELONG | Parents Are People Too
- If you can’t say something nice … | (living a) Rahab Life
- HONESTY v/s WISDOM | So Not Simple
- TWO WAY !! | Dreams to Reality !
- Daily Prompt: Truth or Dare | Icesabel
- Truth… | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Selective honesty. | Climb Every Molehill
- Telling the Truth is always a Dare | An Upturned Soul
- Daily Prompt: Truth | The Uncustomary Housewife
- Genesis | Broken Light: A Photography Collective