Dogs Who Won’t Play With You!
By Joseph E Rathjen
(For The Daily Prompt: YAWN)
August 08, 2013
There’s nothing more sad and boring then a dog who refuses to play with you. You know, the kind of dog that when you throw a ball or a stick up in the air, it refuses to go fetch it. It just sits there and looks at you totally confused with that absent-minded look on its face like it doesn’t know what it’s supposed to do. It really is sad when a dog acts like this. It kind of makes you wonder what purpose that dog really has in life. After all, if it’s not capable of running after a ball or a stick what is it good for?
Dogs are good for a lot of things. Dogs are good for loving people. They are also good for company, smelling things that we can’t smell and hearing things that we can’t hear. Dogs are also good for guarding us and our homes and our loved ones. They are also good for companionship when we have no one else. They know when we’re sick or troubled or when something just isn’t right. Dogs are also our friends when no one else will be our friend and our sounding board when no one else wants to listen.
But a dog who won’t play with you is boring. Something is wrong there and should be examined. So if you have a dog that won’t play with you or anyone else you need to find out why. If it plays with other people but not you, well then, maybe it just doesn’t like you. Find another dog to play with. Don’t take it personally, some dogs are like people, there are just some people they don’t particularly like. It might be their smell, the way they talk or just the way they look.
Do you like every dog you see? Do you want to play with every dog that wants to play with you? Dogs are the same way. They have their likes and dislikes. Some are social and get along with everyone and some want to be alone and don’t want to be bothered by anyone.
I can go into a very detailed and psychological analysis of why some dogs don’t like to play, like maybe they were abused, are ill or anti-social. But that would be boring and not what the purpose of this post is. I needed to come up with something that I find boring and for some strange reason dogs who won’t play came to me. I don’t know why, I don’t even have a dog anymore. Maybe that’s why. Maybe I miss having a dog. But I’m not getting one. I live alone and when I go to work the dog would be alone all day, and that wouldn’t be fair to the dog.
So I’ll just wait for one to come along and then I’ll play with it. That’s if it wants to play with me. I hope it’s not a boring dog.
- Dogs Yawn in Response to Owners’ Yawns… (natureworldnews.com)
- Your Dog Can Catch Yawns – From You (newser.com)
- Familiarity Bias and Physiological Responses in Contagious Yawning by Dogs Support Link to Empathy (plosone.org)
Here are some of my blogger friends thoughts on YAWN:
- The Man who was Always Bored | Godrick Gnomish
- Dull | The Magic Black Book
- Soundtrack To Sleeplessness | The Ergot
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | littlegirlstory
- ( YAWN ) | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- Pigeon taking a wing bath in the rain | Slow and steady
- Boredom | Daily Prompt: (YAWN) | Being a Huntress
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | life n me!
- Daily Prompt: What bores me… | alienorajt
- Martin Amis . . . The “War on Clichés” | Spirit Lights The Way
- Let’s take a drive to Bishan Dog Run | weliveinaflat
- Dull | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: (YAWN) « Mama Bear Musings
- Motherhood and Beyond
- I Know Some People Will Hate Me For This | Andante Cantabile
- Avoid Being A Bore | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Excuses, Excuses (Yawn) | suzie81’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Indira’s Blog
- the tedium of perfection | unquiet fabrications and offerings
- Yawn … | Colline’s Blog
- Integral Part of This Conversation | Molly Greye
- Chance or commmunity chest? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: “Idle Minds Are The Devil’s Workshop” | Creative Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | gorgeous little thieves
- Slow dancing in quicksand | contrailsonmyheart
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Maggie’s Blog
- Wait | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: (Yawn!!!!) | Along Life’s Road
- Daily Prompt: (YAWN) | Under the Monkey Tree
- (YAWN) @ Work | Mainer Chick’s Living in Maine
- Lack of Freedom | just another outlet
- “There is no co… | Sofistikeyted
- Waiting… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Dull | A Taste of Morning
- Daily Prompt: (YAWN) | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) » My Life, My Way, My Words
- What doesn’t bore me? | Mind of a Mouse
- Daily Prompt: Dull | photo potpourri
- ennui | A beetle with earrings
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Basically Beyond Basic
- Des Fischers Auge | Daily Prompt: (YAWN)
- What doesn’t bore me?? | Beautiful Chaos.
- Daily Post: Snore! | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Joe’s Musings
- Bored by Non-interactive Experiences (and normalcy!) | Iam Who Iam
- Neko’s First Daily Prompt: YAWN | Nekoruchii: Life of a Commoner
- My husband bores me! | My thoughts on a page.
- Yawn Much | Lit and Scribbles with Jae
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) « Getting Rid Of Boredom
- Waiting | Skidamarink a Dink a Dink
- My Brain Says | Summer Reminisce
- (Yawn) | A Road Less Traveled…
- Response to Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | bullyingdontstandbystepup
- Waiting on Paratransit – Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Life In The Passenger Seat
- No fun = No chat | travellingwithbelle
- Lazy Day | DELIVERANCE OF THE DAILY GYAN
- Interpret this, prat. | thoughtsofrkh
- Do I really ever get bored? | Rob’s Surf Report
- YAWN | The Nameless One
- bo-ring … not! | sarahscapes
- Monotonous and Mundane | Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion
- Daily Prompt: (YAWN) | Creative Writing
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) « The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Just Shoot Me! | cinnwriterblog
- ‘Yawn’+ Signature Tune | Sitting on the Porch
- Reality Doesn’t Bite | The Robotic Hermit
- ( YAWN ): This was dull | Khana’s Web
- A Dance with Dullness | Brianne Writes
- What bores me? | A Whole New Beebee
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | To Breathe is to Write
- Boredom and Rama | Blogging Vogging…
- Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | cognitive reflection
- A Case of the Bores | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Post Prompt: YAWN! | Webcentrick’s PhotoBlog
Pingback: Daily Prompt: ( YAWN ) | Joe's Musings
I’m glad someone else won’t have a dog because they would have to leave it alone all day. I find it rather sad that people think it’s ok to get a dog and then leave it in an empty house.
Yes, Hedwigia, that’s a heartless thing to do, isn’t it? Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Pingback: A Dance with Dullness | Brianne Writes
Pingback: Daily Prompt; Yawn | terry1954
Pingback: Wait | Life is great
Pingback: Do I really ever get bored? | Rob's Surf Report
Maybe the dog needs to find its inner puppy 🙂
Good one, Colline. You should be an animal therapist, lol. Thanks for stopping by!
Pingback: lack of freedom | just another outlet
What do you do when said dog sometimes wants to play and fetch. And then, at other times,looks at you as if, ‘Whatever’. That’s an an analysis I can’t afford!x
I guess then you should try to get the most out of the “play and fetch” as you can when he’s in the mood, no?
Will do. 🙂 x
I just love animals ~ that unconditional loving fur therapy gets me everytime!