(The Daily Prompt – The Opposite)
By Joseph E Rathjen
July 14th, 2013
I often wonder how my grandchildren see me when they look at me. Do they see an old man whose time is limited, an antiquated relic who knows nothing about the outside world, and who looks like he comes from one of those old black and white movies that are on TV sometimes? Do they think I smell, you know, like all kids think old people smell, or do they just think that I’m weird, like two of my grandkids are saying in the meme above?
I dared to ask one of my granddaughters one day if she thought I was weird. It was probably a question I never should have asked. Before you ask a five-year-old a question about yourself, you have to keep in mind that little kids are usually very honest. Deadly honest. Cruelly honest. Sometimes their honesty is barbaric, in nature. But sometimes, their honesty is a joy, a relief, and a reassurance that
even though you are older now, you still have some life left in you.
This is the answer I got when I asked my granddaughter if she thought I was weird, she just smiled at me and said, “Why wouldn’t you be, grandpa!” and then she went on her merry way.
So if I’m really weird or not, I guess it doesn’t matter, as long as I fit in perfectly with what my grandchildren think I should be. If they didn’t, then I guess I would have a bigger problem…right?
He’s got a cute, little, round head…doesn’t he? Just like a little bowling ball with hair on it!
©Joseph E Rathjen – All Rights Reserved – 2013
- Grandparents & Parents Disagreeing? Tips for them (alaksblog.wordpress.com)
- Taking on the Grandchildren (youlesswrinkled.wordpress.com)
Want to be a freelance writer? Join the best “Den” around!
Here’s some of my blogger friend’s thoughts:
- A dog with a tennis ball |
- Beneath the Rubble | Daily Prompt: Opposite Day | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Opposite Day | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Opposite Day « Mama Bear Musings
- Lulu Leroy | The Jittery Goat
- Why I Like Feedly (A Little Tutorial) | Notes from Heidi
- Daily Prompt: Opposite | Books, Music and Movies : my best friends
- Daily Prompt Poem: Opposite « Vicariously Poetic
- Daily Prompt: Opposite Day | suzie81’s Blog
- Another rose blooms today | Melanie Ryding – Ryding2Health BLOG
- A Thousand Words | Tony’s Texts
- Life was Mine Again Today | meanderedwanderings
- I Did a Drawing | Jake Kuyser
- Daily Prompt: Opposite Day | The Geeky G4mer
- Daily Prompt: Opposite Day | The Blogging Path
- It’s Opposite Day! | Spirit Lights The Way
- A Time for the Senses | maryJmelange
- Connection | Expression
- Opposites Day – The Pacific Rim Review | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: The Other Me | One Starving Activist
- What if, the poem. Daily prompt challenge | Okay, what if?
- Dinner with the Mad Hat | calliopes lyre
- Not My First Love | clarior e tenebris
- Daily Prompt: Opposite Day | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Guest Blogger: Apollo, the Little Lion Man | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Do Opposite When You Do All Three? | My Daily Prompt Blog
- The Swooce Post! | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Sermons… | as long as i’m singing
- Daily Prompt: Opposite | Postcards from
- Daily Prompt – Opposite Day | Kate Murray
- My Mind’s Eye | Clive’s Blog
- Opposite Day | Rebirth |
- Converse Thoughts | rfljenksy – Practicing Simplicity
- Life | Journey to the Centre of My Heart
- Inside Out, Upside Down, and Backwards (that’s me!) | Iam Who Iam
- Silent Sunday… | Haiku By Ku
- Elsewhere | a former clarity
- Opposite day: Art that shocked the world’s critics… | The Rider
- How My Grandchildren View Me… | Joseph Rathjen – Freelance Writing
- A Soon To Be Legendary Heroine | Maggie’s Stories